Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Gas - Petrol - Benzin

I went to get gas for the first time (here). Like many mundane tasks we preform all the time, fueling my vehicle was an interesting exercise since A) the Germans don't call it gas, they call it Benzin, and B) putting diesel or leaded fuel into an unleaded-only car will make bad things happen. Complicating matters even more, they don't just call it benzin, they call it "verbleites Benzin" (leaded gasoline), "normalbenzin" (regular gasoline), and "bleifreies Benzin" (unleaded gasoline). Using my powers of deduction, I figured "normalbenzin" was not actually normal gas - or why would they call it "normal" and not just "benzin." I also know that "alkoholfreies bier" (alcohol-free beer) is something I want no part of since it is free of alcohol, so I took a chance on the "bleifreies Benzin" and my car continues to run.

After I overcame that hurdle, I watched as the counter kept displaying larger and larger numbers. I knew gas was expensive in Europe, but until you actually have to pay it, you don't really get it. I filled up the tank in my little Honda CRV and the bill came out to an astounding 67 EUROS. That's $86.75 if you're doing the math. And I really haven't driven that much. I don't want to hear anyone complain about gas prices.
Germany, I have found your flaw.

No comments:

Post a Comment